background

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Brenna's room re-do part 1: Pillows





Pillow #1-Gathered panel pillow with tattered rosettes

I followed the tutorial found here for this pillow and here for the rosettes. The tutorial is for muslin fabric but I used cotton and it turned out great!

Pillow #2-Yo Yo pillow
For this one I followed the simple tutorial found here. This one is great because the Yo Yo's can be done without a machine if you want.

Pillow #3: Pleated pillow
This one was the most difficult but fun to make. I followed the tutorial found here.

Pillow #4-Gathered pillow
I followed the tutorial found here for this pillow. The tutorial suggests using a silky type fabric but I used cotton and it worked just great. I don't however think it would work very with a stiff upholstery type fabric.

Pillow #5-Pin Tuck Pillow
I got the idea for this pillow here but it did not come with a tutorial so I just kind of figured out how to do it. First: I marked where I wanted all the pin tucks to be on the back of the front piece of my pillow cover with a pen. Second: I pinched each dot with my fingers and then tied a piece of string around the pinched fabric. Third: I used a hand stitch needle and thread to sew through just the tip of each section of pinched off fabric. Fourth: I removed the string that I used to pinch the fabric off in step 2. And that's it, piece of cake!

Pillow #6-Ruffle Front Pillow
I followed the tutorial found here for this pillow. In the tutorial she uses and old t-shirt (knit) fabric which does not fray. I used cotton which does fray so I cut my strips for the front twice as wide as instructed, folded them over and sewed the ends together (making a tube) before gathering each strip and sewing it onto the front.



Just think, these little beauties started out so ugly. Thrift store throw pillows-$1.25 each=$7.50. You would pay more than that for a SINGLE throw pillow at the store!.





This post has been syndicated on BlogHer here



12 comments:

  1. VEry cute! I love all the bright colors.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I featured you this week! You can see your feature by clicking on the link.


    www.houseofhepworths.com/2010/09/08/hookin-up-with-hoh-16


    Feel free to grab a button if you'd like!


    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pillows are awesome! And thank-you for the tutorial links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All beautiful pillows. Thanks so much for the reference. I appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them! ALL OF THEM!!! Poor Winnie...he's not ugly, well Alie would say so!! :) Thanks for sharing! I'm saving this for when I FINALLY (hint hint hubby) get a new sewing machine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally in love with your colorful pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many and all so cute! You have inspired me to get making pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, those are some fabulous pillows! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your pillows...so following now!!!thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. all your makings were so good.. i like all the designs........

    ReplyDelete
  11. The question is the answer itself but when followed by certain limitations we get some other questions come up, such as with the higher price. best pillows india

    ReplyDelete